Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 5-Nauvoo the Beautiful

We started the day at the Nauvoo Visitor's Center. It had a lot of cool sculptures, and of course an original sunstone from the temple.

I'd never seen this one of the First Vision.

I wish I could remember the name of the artist who did these, she did several different ones and they were all very remarkable.

CCA's Crossing the Mississippi.

The Nauvoo Brass Band was around all day...I think I had a couple boys who would like to join!


Getting friendly with the oxen.

Gary and ? or oxen friends.

An ride in the ox wagon..the pioneers never rode in them unless they were deathly ill...they walked beside them.



Learning what the pioneers took on their oxcarts to cross the plains. My favorite was the beehive! We also learned how they made wagon wheels.

Horseshoe making demo.

We all got a prairie diamond.

Our belgian tourguides, Ben and Jim.

Carriage ride touring the scenery.




Wagon ride, touring the city.

Petting the percherons Mike and Andy.

Relief Society gardens.






Look what my dear husband made for me.

Friendly family handcart race!


Stick ball.

Allen's always up for a good tug-o-war!

Tanner is a mean anchorman!

Sack race.

Stick pull...a favorite of the Prophet Joseph Smith.


I finally got my boys to go over to the dance and as soon as we did, girls started asking them to dance. We all had a great time square dancing and the kids waltzed as well.

Spencer, Aaron and Tanner square dancing.

Me square dancing...no we aren't leading everyone...I think the big gap is because I always forget that part so we were behind! haha!

Aaron and Jessica...you can tell a guy is awesome when he is willing to dance with his sister at age 15!

Spencer dancing with some pioneer girl.

Jessica loves her new hoodie!

Opening the pageant.

The finale.

The temple lit up during the finale...it wasn't lit at all last night, and I'm wondering why...I'll have to remember to ask...

1 comment:

Julie Anderson said...

Wonderful! I feel like I was there with you. Can't wait to go. Thank you for visiting my parents. They LOVED seeing you & meeting your family.