Friday, July 17, 2009

Day 6-Nauvoo and Carthage

This morning we started out by doing baptisms for the dead at the Nauvoo temple. It was awesome! On the way out I saw Sister Coons from Las Vegas. She and her husband who was my bishop and my dentist when I was a teenager are here on their mission. I was on the lookout for them!

Allen, Spencer, Aaron, Jessica, and I all did baptisms, and Allen was able to baptize and confirm us. It was so neat to go and do this here, the font is amazing also and the temple is just beautiful!

Our next venture was out to Carthage Jail where Joseph Smith was incarcerated on false charges and murdered by a mob of 150-200 men. This is the window Joseph was shot through and after being shot again in the back from the door, he fell out to the ground below.

Allen examining the bullet holes in the door. The one in the middle is the one that hit Hyrum in the face and killed him.

The upstairs window from the outside. The jailer had let the men sleep in his bedroom thinking that it would be safer than the cell downstairs.

Brotherhood.

On our way to Carthage, there were turtles on nearly every available log, so I wanted to stop and take a photo. Unfortunately there weren't as many when we returned, and they are camera shy. This was the best I could do.

However, I did manage to capture this heron taking off with a fish in it's bill!

Aaron and a bunch of water lilies. They weren't in bloom, but other areas were and they were a beautiful sight.


This is the stone bridge the Saints built to let the runoff into the Mississippi.


The runoff coming over the limestone ledges...quite beautiful!

When we returned to Nauvoo we took the Community of Christ tour of Joseph's properties. They did not allow any photos inside or in the visitor's center. What's the deal with that? The Nauvoo House was where the prophet lived at the time he was martyred and where Emma remained after the Saints left.

This is where Emma, Joseph, and Hyrums remains were eventually buried.

The Homestead where Joseph and Emma first lived in Nauvoo...the log portion was the only part there at that time. They had four children.

The Mansion House.

Joseph and Emma's Red Brick Store.

This is the room above the Red Brick Store where the Relief Society was formed.

Joseph Smith's office in the Red Brick Store, the only place we were allowed to take photos of inside on this tour.

After our tour we stopped by Elder and Sister Coons' apartment for a short visit and of course we needed a photo with them! They live right next to the schoolhouse.

We visited the brickyard...here Nate is showing off the Nauvoo souvenir brick they give you here. Nauvoo had 7 brickyards and they made 4 million bricks a year.

We toured Lucy Mack Smith's home...Joseph Smith's mother.

Next we visited Jonathan Browning's shop.


Exhausted, we listened to a Sister Missionary tell about the bakery and awaited our free ginger snap.

We were exhausted from touring buildings, but we still took the time to get dressed up for an authentic Nauvoo Family Vacation photo. I snapped pics the whole time we were there so that will be ANOTHER post.

I finally got 30 minutes of rest, but then Allen wanted to go to the "Sunset by the Mississippi", a show the Missionaries put on in the evening, so we did.




Afterwards, we stopped by the temple to take some more photos.


This monument to Joseph and Hyrum is right across the street in front of the temple.

I had Spencer take some photos of the temple when they lit it up during the pageant tonight. The rest of us stayed in our room and I took the little boys to the pool. Every night Spencer disappears for about with his cell phone.

No comments: