Monday, August 24, 2009

Wow, 20 Years!

Here we are...back when we were BABIES outside of my BYU dorms. Allen was probably stopping by on his way home from school or one of his three jobs. I'm not even sure we had many dates longer than 10 minutes. We met at the BYU Skyroom where we were both waiters. Allen was always flirting with all the girls and used to ask me if I was "hot" all the time, since I'd complain that I was hot in my tuxedo shirt. So when it came time for BYU Preference, I asked him to it, mostly because I was comfortable around him. But by the end of that date, I was hooked! It's a good thing that he was too I guess, because we steadily dated from then on. I could tell that Allen was a wonderful, kind person. He had a soft spot for old ladies and would often visit them. I had to pass inspection by his 90 year-old friend Irma Bantjes before I even got to meet his mother! I remember that he would always call if he was going to be late and he always treated me with respect.

When we were first married life was great. He finished his last semester and had to work for a year as an RN while I finished my last year to earn my Business degree. When he was not working, he would often make us lunch and join me up on campus. He also loved to make "soup of the week" for dinner. I have to admit I didn't go into marriage thinking we'd live life "happily ever after", so the amount of peace and love in our home was a pleasant surprise and I was happier than I ever dreamed I'd be. My co-workers would always tell me that I talked about Allen like I thought he could walk on water. I guess I thought he did.

Twenty years later we are as happy as ever and I'm so grateful to be married to such a wonderful and amazing man. I can't believe I got so lucky! He is such a great husband, my best friend, and the most loving father anyone could ask for. I'm looking forward to the next 20 years! I love you, Allen!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Love that picture of the younger Carrie and Allen. You guys are a great couple and great family.

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I LOVE that picture! So classic.